Inviting Expression of Interest for Developing Teacher Training MOOCs for SWAYAM
Introduction Last Date for proposal submission: 15-12-2017
SWAYAM is an instrument for self-actualisation providing opportunities for a life-long learning. Here learner can choose from hundreds of courses and these shall be offered by best of the teachers in India and elsewhere. If a faculty member working in a technical institution, the course credit will be considered into their academic record. If you are, working or not working, in school or out of school, SWAYAM presents a unique educational opportunity to expand the horizons of knowledge.
The 4- Step Process of MOOCs Development
The process of MOOCs development and delivery shall consist of the following four steps which are further explained below :
- Inviting Expression of Interest for Developing MOOCs
- Online Propopsal for Development and Delivery of MOOCs
- Assessment and Evaluation
- Course Evaluation and Credit transfer by Host Institution
Step I: Inviting Expression of Interest for Developing MOOCs
The development of MOOC starts with inviting Expression of Interests (EoI) from academics / academic institutions. The Expression of Interest (EoI) must be submitted online, along with the sample video of about 5 minutes to be uploaded on YouTube giving brief description about the objectives and outlines of the Course.
Instruction for uploading video is given below:
- Step 1: Login to YouTube account with the Gmail ID and Password.
- Step 2: After Successful login, You will find a upward arrow. At the top of the Page , adjacent to your Login profile.
- Step 3: Click on the upload arrow and create your Channel.
- Step 4: After Successful Channel creation upload your Video from your Computer in the Channel as marking in Public option.
- Step 5: Fill the basic information of the Video and click the Publish button.
- Step 6: After Successful Publish you will find a hyper-link below to your video , copy that link and paste it to Online Proforma.
The Expression of Interest (EoI) shall be evaluated by a Subject Matter Experts Group(SMEG) , constitute by NITTTR Chennai. The SMEG will review each detailed proposal and give recommendations to the Academic Advisory Council (AAC) constituted by the NITTTR Chennai for approval. The detailed proposal will be invited for the course approved by the Academic Advisory Council , NITTTR.
Step II: Online Proposal for Development and Delivery of MOOCs
Online Proposal for MOOCs development shall consist of the following and shall be submitted to the NITTTR Chennai, if the initial proposal is approved by the NITTTR.
||Introductory module/sample video (upto 5 minutes)
||Define the Course design, qualifications for taking the course, introductory video, assessment system, credits to be awarded, starting date/ending date, and expected outcomes.
||Scheduling of course
||Lectures / reading material / assignments / quizzes/ test into weeks and short modules.
||Instructional videos and transcripts etc
||Transcripts, multi-media techniques to be used, and the name of the teacher-on-the- camera. etc.
||Details of reading material such as lecture notes / additional readings to be provided.
||Total number of quizzes and assignments to be provided for the course and assignments and quizzes.
||Weekly /biweekly assessments and assignments, quizzes and tests that would be required to be taken by the students.
||List of Teaching Assistants for handling the discussion forum and answering queries raised by registered Students.
||Where Credits / Certificate on the Course are to be offered. Consent letter / copy of the resolution / minutes etc., signifying the Institute has formal approval of the MOOCs Course.
||Stating that that Online Course is Cleared by a University/ Institute. That the University/ Institute agrees to issue certificate(s) and ‘Transfer the Credits’ to registered Students under SWAYAM that are existing as regular & enrolled students from a recognized University/Institute across the country.
The proposal would be invited in a proforma to be devised for the Purpose.
Development of MOOC courses encompasses the production of instructional video lectures, creation of textual materials, lecture transcripts, assessment components etc. These aspects of production may be undertaken at suitable production facility meeting infrastructure requirements as mentioned in the MHRD Revised Guidelines for MOOCs, dated 1st June 2017- -(REFER 6.3. Production activities (8 weeks/ Online Course of the revised Guidelines)
The production facility may be located at the Host University/Institute. Incase production facility is not available at Host University/Institute, Course Coordinator (CC) can also avail production facility for the accepted MOOC Proposals, available with the NITTTR Chennai empanelled vendors.
Step III: Assessment and Evaluation
- The CC shall decide the suitable assessment system for the course based on the stated learning outcomes, in consultation with the VC/ Registrar / Controller of examination/Dean Examination or any other equivalent authority at host University/ institution offering the course.
Normally, the assessment shall have both formative assessment to promote deeper learning, critical thinking and reflection, in combination with summative assessments designed to gauge student achievement and/or performance. Summative assessments may include graded quizzes, reports or projects, peer assessments or proctored examination
Whereas an online examination would be the preferred mode, the CC may decide on the mode of conducting the final examination.
- In case, a pen and paper final examination is to be conducted, the same shall be offered through any college/school. volunteering to conduct the same. The decision in this respect will be taken by the host institution
- After conduct of the examination and completion of the evaluation, the host institution shall award marks/grade as per the evaluation scheme announced, within 4 weeks from the date of completion of the final examination.
- On successful completion of each course, the host institution offering the Online Course would issue the certificate, along with the number of credits and grades, through which the student can get credits transferred into his/her marks certificate issued by his/ her parent institution.
- The delivery of MOOCs shall comprise of schedule-wise release of video lectures and assessment. The Discussion forum requires moderating the discussion from time to time and conducting the Live interaction. These components are part of the SWAYAM platform and require NKN network/high bandwidth facility to conduct the live interaction through the portal.
Step IV: Course Credits and Credit transfer by Host Institution
On successful completion of each course, the host institution offering the Online Course would issue the certificate, along with the number of credits and grades, through which the student can get credits transferred into his/her grade sheet.
Terms and conditions for Fund Release:
- The funds will be released as per MOOCs Guidelines and Terms & Conditions issued from time to time.
- The funds will be released to Host University/Institutes only for development of MOOC.
- The MOOCs developer (Course Coordinator) would adhere to MHRD Norms of payment structure for development of MOOCs.
- Utilization Certificate of the Fund Release for development of MOOC has to be submitted to NITTTR Chennai by the concerned Institution.
Eligibility Criteria for applying for MOOC Proposal
- An academician/faculty having 10 years of PG Teaching Experiences in concerned field, can be the Course Coordinator.
- The Faculty employed in University/College would be required to submit the detailed proposal later along with a consent letter of the host University/Institute to develop MOOCs Courses.
- The courses, which carry credits/ certification, shall be cleared by the 'Host University/Institute', who are authorised to award degrees as per section 22 of the UGC Act, 1956 and also agree to conduct End Examination, assessment and grant credits/ certification.
- One Course Coordinator can offer only one course at a time.
- Expression of Interest (EoI) can be invited for courses from Course Coordinator through recognised Universities/ Institute of National Importance and other educational Institutions.